The 2016 “super team” Knicks have gotten offer to an atrocious start to the season. The garden fans and media will start calling for heads soon. A 2-4 start is nothing to panic over but the Knicks fan base has never been known for theirpatience.
So here it is my top five way to earlier ways fix the Knicks.
1. Defense defense and defense are the major concerns for this club. With very few quality defenders on the roster a guy like Marshall Plumlee should be able to see some minutes. He was signed by the Knicks for this very reason. No one on the Knicks plays with such reckless abandon on the defensive end. Plumlee struggles on the offensive side of the ball. Meanwhile the bench besides Jennings doesn’t really have any one who can score the ball. This is primarily the reason why Plumlee has worn a suit more than a jersey. However if the Knicks want to improve their defense they should look to change this.
2. Bring back summer league stand-out Chasson Randle. By now we all know about theKnicks defensive woes, so adding Randle to the 15 man roster wouldn’t be a bad move. Randle impressed many around the Knicks with his offensive and defensive abilities. The Knicks bench could use a spark plug and coach has used two guard lineups in Phoenix. So playing Jennings and Randle wouldn’t be out of the question.
3. Hire a defensive coach ( the Knicks recently appointed Kurt Rambis defensive coach). Anytime Kurt Rambis is associated with the Knicks nothing good can happen. However let’s not forget Rambis was a defensive wizard back in his playing days. Rambis also led the Lakers defense when they won back to back rings with Koe and Gasol. Let’s not forget the defense has nothing to do with the fabled triangle offense. So maybe Rambis can actually do a decent job.
4. Stop with the triangle talk, the player and fans are tired of hearing about it. The club is currently 18th (out of 30) in PPG at 102.2 per game. Which leaves them about an averageoffensive team. Any team with Rose, Melo and Porzingis shouldn’t struggle to score. If you watched any of the Knicks games we have stretches were we operate like a well oiled machine on offense, then we seemly get away from the offense and play hero ball. This is a sign of a club who is still searching for its identity on offense. Not a team who isn’t running the triangle enough. So whether it’s Phil Jackson or just Frank Isola they both need to shut up with the triangle talk and let the team gel.
5. Make a trade, yes I know it is very early in the season but hey we all know how the Knicks operate. Phil has very few assists to trade but they can still make a move for a defensive veteran player. Someone like Matt Barnes might just bring some defensive intensity. Just envision a lineup of Noah, Porzingis, Barnes, Lee, and Rose. That is a lineup that is filled with intensity and toughness on the defensive side while also having some offside minded players out their. Matt Barnes shouldn’t fetch much and the Knicks have three draft picks in this years draft. So they may be able to swing a deal for Barnes without giving up too much. Now let’s just hope Barnes can forgive Phil for hiring Fisher.